The decision to get breast implants is highly personal and one that most of the women who choose Dr. Ryan Diederich make only after diligently researching breast augmentation. Patients looking in St. Louis for a breast augmentation specialist discover Dr. Diederich is only 15 minutes from downtown and has an excellent track record of beautiful results. The board-certified plastic surgeon established MidAmerica Plastic Surgery near Maryville to provide Southern Illinois residents with access to an experienced and highly trained cosmetic surgeon without having to travel into the city.
If you’ve been thinking about getting breast augmentation for months, or even years, and are now ready, schedule a consultation schedule a consultation with Dr. Diederich at our Glen Carbon office. Or you can call us at (618) 288-7855 to schedule an appointment.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation, augmentation mammaplasty, “Boob Job”… These are all terms used to describe the process of using implants or your own tissue to increase breast size, or restore fullness after pregnancy or weight loss. Women come with many different reasons they desire breast augmentation. Some have always had the desire for larger, fuller breasts; others may have lost volume after pregnancy or because of weight loss and want to restore the breast volume.
What can breast augmentation do?
Breast augmentation can:
- Increase fullness and projection of your breasts.
- Improve the balance of your figure.
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence.
Breast Augmentation Before & After Photos
Breast augmentation results can vary considerably depending on the type and size of implant chosen and most importantly your physical characteristics that include your age, height, weight, pre-implant breast shape, etc. Below we have included several image galleries of MidAmerica Plastic Surgery breast augmentation patients that show before and after photos of their results.
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast Augmentation can be a good choice for you if:
- You are physically healthy.
- You have realistic expectations.
- Your breasts are fully developed.
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small.
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing shape and volume after pregnancy, weight loss, or with aging.
- Your breasts vary in size or shape.
- One or both breasts failed to develop normally.
What types of implants are available for breast augmentation?
Currently there are three types available in the United States: saline, silicone, and highly cohesive silicone (Gummy Bear). The choice depends on preference of the woman.
Saline or silicone: What’s the best type of breast implant?
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The clear advantage to silicone is appearance (less rippling) and feel. This is primarily on the outer / lower portion of the breast that has less tissue coverage. Advantage of saline is rupture. If a saline implant ruptures, it is easy to identify. If rupture occurs, your body reabsorbs the saline (which is part of your normal body). If you come in and are treated in the first couple of weeks, surgery is relatively quick and easy. Many women, even as early as the next day, forget they had surgery. With Silicone, the rupture can be more difficult to identify. Also, surgery to replace the implant is more difficult with a slightly higher cost.
Comparison of the 3 implants available:
Are silicone implants safe?
Yes. There has been debate on this for many years. The fear was of autoimmune and other disease. There are numerous studies out now and that show silicone implants are safe. Studies are also ongoing to track the safety of silicone implants.
How to I determine what bra size I want to be?
Bra manufacturers can vary widely from company to company on actual cup size as well as the fit they provide. Worry less about the bra size and more about the appearance that you like.
I like my friend’s result, I want those implants…
The results of implants depend on many factors including height, weight, chest size, chest shape, breast width, breast tissue, breast location, breast shape, spine curvature, nipple location, breast asymmetries, etc. Breast implants must be tailored to take into consideration each of these factors which can play a key role in the outcome. For example, if one nipple is more off-center than the other, or one breast has more projection, this can be more noticeable. With MidAmerica Plastic Surgery’s 3D imaging system, you can see how those changes look before you commit to anything.
How do I determine Breast Augmentation size?
There are many ways:
Stockings & Rice: Dr. Diederich initially heard this from a patient, and it has proven useful. You simply measure out a volume of rice in milliliters or cubic centimeters (they are equal) and put it in a stocking. The advantage is you can wear this as long as you want and get used to the new size.
Try on Implants: The tried and true way. Come to MidAmerica Plastic Surgery, try on implants, and see what you think. We always recommend bringing a variety of shirts, a friend, and making as many trips as you need to try them on. Your goal should be getting the size that is right for you.
What is Vectra 3D?
Vectra 3D allows you to see your results before any procedure!
- This is an amazing, real-time, 3D application. It quickly takes a 3 dimensional snapshot of you that can be moved to any angle on the screen. Then, Dr. Ryan Diederich is able to select the exact implants (taking into account the above factors-width, nipple size, etc..) and show you the results, from any angle, on you. No more guessing! It’s a wonderful system because it shows patients a more realistic view of what to expect.
I’ve heard many women say they wish they had gone bigger…
“I wish I would have gone bigger.” There are a couple reasons women say this. First, the change from your current size is dramatic at first, but you quickly get used to it. Second, no matter what size you choose at first, there is swelling. You get accustomed to this new size and as the swelling goes down you notice a slight decrease in size. This is true no matter what size you choose. It is recommended to choose the smallest size that makes you happy.
Where are the incisions placed?
There are three major options:
During a consultation with Dr. Diederich at MidAmerica Plastic Surgery, these options will be discussed and the optimal plan for you determined.
Can I have a breast lift at the same time as breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation and breast lift (augmentation mastopexy) are two opposite and competing procedures. The two procedures can be completed at the same time, although there are limitations in both the degree of augmentation and degree of lift that can be completed concurrently. Dr. Diederich often recommends to proceeding in a two-stage fashion for the best possible result. That said, we also recognize both financial, time, and recovery constraints of completing this in 2 stages and for many patients this is completed in a single surgery. A complete consultation with Dr. Diederich is necessary to determine if you are a candidate for a single-stage procedure.
Before the Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation as needed
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Get a baseline mammogram before surgery and another one after surgery to help detect any future changes in your breast tissue
- Stop smoking well in advance of your breast augmentation surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding (Check first with your primary care physician. If you cannot stop please let us know).
- Get your pre- and post-surgery checklist
- Pick up your prescriptions so they are ready on surgery day
The Day of Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast Augmentation surgery is usually on an out patient basis. You will come to the hospital in the morning and be able to leave in the afternoon. You are not allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight the day before your surgery. Please arrange for someone to drive you to and from the hospital on surgery day. You will also need someone to stay with you at home for the first 24 hours after surgery.
After Breast Augmentation Surgery
After the surgery is completed, dressings will be applied to the incisions and a surgical bra placed. You will come to the office the day after your surgery for follow up, and we will remove the bandages for you. You may be sore for a few weeks and may also experience slight swelling and bruising. Recovery is patient dependent. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience shortness of breath, chest pains, or unusual heart beats.
Complications Regarding Breast Augmentation
As with any procedure, there are risks. Fortunately, with breast augmentation, these risks are minimal but must be discussed. These include but are not limited to:
- Unfavorable scarring
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Poor healing of incisions
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation, may be temporary or permanent
- Capsular contracture, which is the formation of firm scar tissue around the implant leakage or rupture
- Wrinkling of the skin over the implant
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid accumulation
- Blood clots
- Pain, which may persist
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Breast implants are not guaranteed to last a lifetime and future surgery may be required to replace one or both implants.
- Pregnancy, weight loss and menopause may influence the appearance of augmented breasts over the course of your lifetime.
For more information see the American Society of Plastic Surgery topic Breast Augmentation
*This article is intended as a guideline only. This is not intended as medical advice. There are no guarantees written or implied from the information presented here. Only a consultation can provide an appropriate evaluation and discussion regarding any procedure. Refer to your physician for medical decision making and advice.