MidAmerica Plastic Surgery: Ryan Diederich, MD
4955 South State Route 159 #1
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
MAPS: (618) 288-7855
SPA: (618) 307-6233
Monday & Wednesday: 7 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–12 p.m.
Male Breast ReductionRequest Your Consultation
What Causes Enlargement of Male Breasts?
Enlargement of the male breast, also known as gynecomastia, is a common condition that can affect men of any age. It can be the result of hormonal changes, heredity, disease processes, or from certain drug use.
What Can Be Done?
Male breast reduction is a surgical procedure for the reduction of the enlarged male breast. There are many methods to reduce the size of the male breast:
- Liposuction: Works especially well in gynecomastia that is primarily the result of excess fatty tissue deposition.
- Excision: For men with excessive amounts of glandular tissue, excision, or a combination of excision and liposuction, is necessary.
Risks With Male Breast Reduction
- Unfavorable scarring
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Blood clots
- Poor wound healing
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation may be temporary or permanent
- If liposuction is used, additional risks include uneven contours, rippling or loose skin, irregular pigmentation, excessive fluid loss or fluid accumulation
- Anesthesia risks
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Skin discoloration, permanent pigmentation changes, swelling and bruising
- Damage to deeper structures – such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and lungs – can occur and may be temporary or permanent
- Allergies to tape, suture materials, glues, blood products, topical preparations or injected agents
- Breast asymmetry
- Fatty tissue found deep in the skin might die (fat necrosis)
- Fluid accumulation
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Pain, which may persist
- Possibility of revisional surgery
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Ryan Diederich
Dr. Diederich is a Southern Illinois native realizing his dream of giving back to the community. He helps patients feel and look their best with his surgical skills and compassionate care.Learn More
Dr. Ryan Diederich is a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in a range of aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgery procedures at Mid-America Institute of Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery in Glen Carbon, IL. If you’re looking for a plastic surgeon east of St. Louis, you can schedule a consultation online or call us at (618) 288-7855 to schedule an appointment.
For more information see the American Society of Plastic Surgery topic “Breast Reduction for Men”
*This article is intended as a guideline only. This is not intended as medical advice. There are no guarantees written or implied from the information presented here. Only a consultation can provide an appropriate evaluation and discussion regarding any procedure. Refer to your physician for medical decision making and advice.