It’s important to have a good support system during recovery from cosmetic surgery. Whether the person having surgery is a spouse, significant other, or friend, you are who they will turn to! So how can you help them?
- Attend as many appointments with them as you can.
- The consultation will go over all the information in depth including how the procedure is completed, the risks and benefits for each procedure, and also what to expect in recovery.
- The pre-op appointment will go through the important details again and focus more on the specific surgical plan that will take place.
- Any follow up appointments will provide more details on how the patient is recovering, what to look out for, and how to help.
- Read their pre- and post-op instruction sheets so that you are familiar with them. These list in detail what to expect at each stage of cosmetic surgery.
- Make sure the patient takes it very easy for at least the first few days after surgery. Walking around a little bit is recommended (10 minutes every two hours walking indoors) but nothing more than that. No laundry, no cleaning, no cooking, no lifting more than a paperback book. This is important for a good recovery.
- Set them up in a comfortable spot with all their necessities within reach.
- A drink – water, fruit juice, milk, yogurt drink (at least 8 ounces every two hours)
- Book and/or remote
- Small snacks – granola bars, protein shakes, fruit, anything healthy
- All medications – with a notebook or something to keep track of when to take each one.
- If the patient has kids or pets, take care of them too!
As always, our office is available to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to call at 618-288-7855!