MidAmerica Plastic Surgery: Ryan Diederich, MD
4955 South State Route 159 #1
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
MAPS: (618) 288-7855
SPA: (618) 307-6233
Monday & Wednesday: 7 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–12 p.m.
Body ContouringRequest Your Consultation
What is Body Contouring?
Body contouring can improve your appearance after significant weight loss. This procedure allows Dr. Ryan Diederich to remove excess fat and sagging skin. Because the skin has lost some of its elasticity, excess tissue and skin does not conform to your now smaller frame. Exercise can strengthen muscle but cannot address excess skin, fat, and loss of elasticity. If you have saggy or loose skin following a large weight loss, body contouring from MidAmerica Plastic Surgery may be right for you.
Who may benefit from body contouring?
Body contouring is performed to:
- Remove excess sagging skin and fat.
- Smooth and tighten tissue.
- Create smoother contours.
- Define and shape body.
Body contouring may be right for you if:
- You have excess skin laxity.
- You are physically healthy and don’t have a medical condition that impairs healing.
- Your weight is stable.
- You do not smoke.
Before the Body Contouring Surgery
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation, as needed.
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications, as recommended.
- Stop smoking well in advance of your surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding (if OK with your primary care physician. If you cannot stop please let us know).
The Day Of the Body Contouring Surgery
- Completed as an outpatient or with hospital stay depending on your particular needs.
- Nothing to eat or drink the day of surgery.
- You will need someone to drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours.
After the Body Contouring Surgery
Recovery is patient dependent.
Seek medical attention immediately if you have any of the following:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains, or unusual heart beats
Complications from the Body Contouring Surgery
As with any procedure there are risks. Fortunately, with a thigh lift, these risks are minimal. These include but are not limited to:
- Unfavorable scarring
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Fluid accumulation
- Poor wound healing
- Skin loss
- Blood clots
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Anesthesia risks
- Skin discoloration and/or prolonged swelling
- Fatty tissue found deep in the skin might die (fat necrosis)
- Major wound separation
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Pain, which may persist
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Persistent swelling in the legs
- Possibility of revisional surgery
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Ryan Diederich
Dr. Diederich is a Southern Illinois native realizing his dream of giving back to the community. He helps patients feel and look their best with his surgical skills and compassionate care.Learn More
Dr. Ryan Diederich is a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in a range of aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgery procedures at Mid-America Institute of Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery in Glen Carbon, IL. If you’re looking for a plastic surgeon east of St. Louis, you can schedule a consultation online, or call us at (618) 288-7855 to schedule an appointment.
*This article is intended as a guideline only. This is not intended as medical advice. There are no guarantees written or implied from the information presented here. Only a consultation can provide an appropriate evaluation and discussion regarding any procedure. Refer to your physician for medical decision making and advice.